Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Getting out of Utah

I have decided that I hate trying to get to the airport. In Utah, you never know what the weather is going to be like or what maniac will forget how to drive. With an 11:15 flight on Wednesday morning, I thought that leaving Orem by 8:15 am would give me enough time. A normal trip to the airport takes about an hour. While it had snowed a little the night before, the roads were fairly clear. Unfortunately, people forgot how to drive. An accident at the point of the mountain and another on 54th South put traffic at a standstill, then a slow crawl. From Thanksgiving Point to 72nd South, I did not achieve a speed over 15 MPH. When I finally got close to the airport, I was so frazzled that I missed the turnoff for the Park N' Jet and had to park in economy parking since covered parking was full. I caught the shuttle, where I gave up my seat to a mother with three children under the age of 8. I couldn't believe she was taking them on a trip alone. She is braver than I. Due to some excellent advise from my mother, I had checked in the night before and had printed off my boarding pass. Since I was running so late, I didn't have time to check my bag. Because of this, the security officer threw away my shampoo, conditioner, face wash, lotion, face moisturizer, and toothpaste. I ran to the gate, only to find that the gate for my flight had changed. I raced to the other terminal just in time to hear the final boarding call for my flight. I was seated five minutes before they closed the doors. The flight only took an hour and 15 minutes and we were met in Phoenix by a temperature of 68 F. I caught a taxi to my hotel, where I checked in and watched some tv. I then ended up having dinner at Marie Callender's and spent the night preparing for my first day of classes. The mattress at the hotel was horrible and I only got about 4 hours of sleep. All in all, the first day of my business trip was a bust.


scrap chair potato said...

I felt frazzled just reading about your morning. How frustrating for you! I am glad you didn't miss your flight. It sounds like the weather was worth the trouble.
By the way, those of us with three little children will do just about anything to see our family that lives far away. Even if that means we have to fly alone with them. :)

Diane said...

Wow! What a trip...Larry would have missed his flight for sure. He very rarely leaves time for those type of problems. Hopefully he won't have to worry about it for a while. I am glad that the weaather made up for it!