Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

April 2011 - May 2011 update

Once again, because I am so woefully behind, here is a quick and dirty summary of what happened in April and May of 2011. Please pardon me if I have forgotten something significant to you and yours.

  • In April we celebrated the birthdays of Wyatt, Alison, and Brooke. I can't believe that Wyatt, the first of our "triplets" is now five and will be starting kindergarten in the fall.
  • On the second Sunday of April my entire ward was invited to a meeting that included all the single adults (ages 21-31) in Provo and Orem. They renamed all the wards, created single adult only stakes (3 were created,) and then explained that the boundaries and age limits were going to be pretty strict. They encouraged us not to ward hop (not really a problem for me) and that if we were over a certain age that we should go to a home ward or mid-singles ward. As a woman of that age, I've decided to go to a mid-singles ward in Provo as opposed to going to a home ward where there would be a lot less people my age. Our ward has at least 25 people over 30 who will need to find new wards by September 1st. It's been hard but I am sure that we will all eventually be better for it.
  • After much deliberation amongst members of our Board of Directors at work, it was decided that our current CEO would step down and into the role of CTO. A new CEO was brought in on April 19th. It was a shock to most of the company. I now have 4 bosses: the CEO (or Boss R,) the President (or Boss M,) the CTO (or Boss D,) and VP of Strategy and Operations (or Boss L.) Luckily I had two admins assisting me (but more to come on that later.)
  • In May we celebrated the birthdays of Caleb, Dad, and Britnie.
  • My work had their big yearly conference where people from all over the country came to Provo. It was held at the Provo Marriott and I had a heck of a time keeping the schedules for all four of my bosses straight. It was 3 days of non-stop work but we managed to get through it. The event coordinator was 7 months pregnant so a few of us pitched in to do some leg work for her.
  • The next weekend I received a Facebook invite for a friend of mine I hadn't seen in almost 10 years. We lost track of each other when she went on a mission and her parents moved away from Kaysville. Katie and I emailed back and forth and then ended up going to dinner. It was so much fun to catch up (even if we only got through about 5% of what had happened to us.) She, like me, is a biblioholic and loves music and art.

  • I went with a few friends to see Seussical the Musical at the Hale Center Theater. Our friend, Melissa Lindsey, was in the cast and did a wonderful job.
  • Boss D went to Alaska for a week in May which cut down on my workload a little.
  • May 21st was supposed to be the day of The Rapture according to Harold Camping. This American Christian radio broadcaster predicted that May 21st would be the day that Christ would return to the Earth, the righteous would fly up to Heaven, and the wicked would be left on Earth to suffer until October. Clearly this didn't happen. He is still living in his same house and now predicts the end of the world to be October 21, 2011. The saddest part of this whole thing is that many of his followers quit their jobs, sold their homes, and spent all their money in preparation for The Rapture and were pretty shocked on May 22nd when they had to continue on with their lives with no job, house, or money.
  • On May 23rd the ward came over to my house to watch Pixar shorts and have treats. We projected the dvd onto the north wall of the living room and covered the windows with blankets and sheets. It had a movie theater feel to it. A lot of people showed up and several of us ended up downstairs talking instead of watching the dvd. It was a lot of fun.
  • The Center Ward had a May 30th BBQ at Rob's house to celebrate Memorial Day. It was a lot of fun and Rob, Lindsey, Patrick and I ended up shooting hoops and talking.
  • This May was the second wettest May in Provo in the past 30 years. The temperature never got above 81 degrees Fahrenheit.

No comments: