Search This Blog

Sunday, October 01, 2006

A family weekend

This weekend seems to have been all about family. While I still have a cough and some sniffles, I am finally over my cold. On Friday I missed my first two classes because I accidentally set my alarm for 7 pm instead of 7 am. It was especially annoying because I had done all my reading as was prepared for all my classes. In my History of Christianity class we started talking about Charlemagne and converting by the sword. In the afternoon I went to Barnes and Noble to buy a copy of The Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare. After being given another raincheck by a friend, I decided to go to dinner with my parents, John, Jen, and Lauren. We ended up at Ruth's diner up in the canyon. My pasta was excellent although I started eating a little later than everyone else because I was holding Lauren. She was getting fussy because she was so tired. We walked around and I sang to her. Sometimes it is hard being a baby. We got dessert to go and went home. I ended up watching some episodes of Scrubs and crocheting.
On Saturday, I was awakened by my mother asking if I had turned off my alarm. I was very confused because I hadn't set my alarm. It turns out that Alison, Mom, and Dad had heard an alarm and assumed that it was mine. Not so; it was the alarm on Alison's phone. Oh well, such is life. I watched both morning and afternoon sessions of General Conference (for any people who are not of my faith, see the link to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for more info.) Alison, Mom, and I watched part of Emma while the boys were at the Priesthood session from 6 to 8pm. We then ordered pizza and ended up talking for a while. Josh and Brooke showed up and let us see their ultrasound pictures. If the pictures and technician are correct, they are having a boy. I admit to hoping for a girl, but I am so excited for them and our whole family. There may be some issues with the baby, but I won't discuss them right now. Jeremy called to say that Sid had been to the emergency room. Apparently she had an allergic reaction to a cashew. He tried calling us but, because of a mix up of phone lines on Main Street, we never got the phone call. She is fine but is allergic to tree nuts, including but not limited to cashews, walnuts, almonds, pecans, pine nuts, etc. She doesn't appear to be allergic to peanuts though.
This morning, Sunday, I was awakened to Sidney climbing on my bed. She told me about throwing up the day before and that she might get to go to the zoo today. I got up and had breakfast with Mom, Dad, Jen, John, Lauren, Jeremy, Brit, Sid, Wyatt, and Brooke. It was nice although I wish I could have looked a little better. Hopefully no one got a picture of me. I didn't hear as much of the morning session as I would have liked, but heard a lot more of the afternoon session. I found Pres. Hinkley's brief talk very moving. It seemed like a goodbye speak, as though he is trying to prepare the Saints for his eventual death. It gave me pause. Lunch was a pork roast with a new sauce made with pumpkin seeds. I love it when mom tries new recipes. I always enjoy trying something new, even if it doesn't become one of my favorites. Sid helped Mom make dessert, which included her licking the spoon. (Very cute!) I got some cute pictures of the nieces and nephew. One picture includes John and Jen reading to Lauren. Now I have to think about doing some homework so I will end this post. If any of you family members want to see other pictures that I took, I put them on flickr.

No comments: