Search This Blog

Monday, February 26, 2007

Monday: scary then fun

This has been an interesting Monday. It started out very dull indeed. I did laundry, dishes, and cleaned my room a little bit. I looked at the want ads, then sent some e-mails out. By the time my roommate Camille came home at 4 pm, I decided that I wanted to walk to the library and to the cursed FedEx store to send some faxes. I left home while the sun was shining. As I walked, I talked to my lovely sister on the phone about my life in general, the job hunt, my roommates, and our planned meeting for the next day. (I am so excited to be able to babysit Lauren tomorrow night!) In the library I was able to pick up some children's books in Spanish for my roommate Camille (she is starting to learn Spanish) and then a video to watch sometime this week. As I walked home, I was almost hit by a car on Center Street when an older lady on a cell phone was not paying attention to the color of the traffic lights. It didn't really bother me since this happens almost every time I walk to the library. I stopped by the FedEx store where my favorite "bosses daughter" tried to help me again. I have given her this nickname because the several times she has tried to help me, she seems completely clueless. I would think she is a trainee but she appears to not care that she is unable to run any of the equipment in the store properly. Only a bosses daughter would be able to be so uncaring and incompetent and still have a job. It drives me crazy but cannot be changed.
The next part of my day was very exciting. I was preparing to cross the road that my apartment is on. I stopped at the curb, looked for cars, then stepped off into the road. Immediately, a car turned left from State into the road. I stopped and waved her on. She then stopped and waved me to cross the street. I declined and waved for her to go since I was on the side of the road and her car was in the middle. She waved me on again and I decided to make the decision for both of us by walking across the road. I was in front of her car when a truck turned left from State and came along side her. This truck and its driver had obviously seen that the woman's car was stopped but still decided to beat oncoming traffic and turn onto the road. He pulled along side of the woman, opened his door, and proceeded to yell at the woman and myself for being in the road. I immediately walked to the other side of the road and the woman drove off. The man then pulled into a nearby parking lot across the street and started yelling at me. He was of the opinion that I did not have the right of way because there was no painted crosswalk. I was causing a serious problem and he was going to yell at me like a maniac to fix it. I yelled back that I had the right of way because I had crossed at the corner. He then yelled at me some more. That is when I yelled that I only argued with rational people, turned around, and proceeded to continue walking to my apartment which was only 30 yards away. I think he was considering crossing the street when the woman who had stopped for me in the first place drove up. She had seen in her rear view window that the man was yelling and came to assist me. He then started yelling at her and insisting that she roll down her window so they could talk. She refused, yelled at him for yelling at me, and drove off. He then went into the bank. When I walked into my apartment, I told Camille what had happened and we expressed our shock at the mans rude behavior. An hour later, Sarah, Camille, and I went to Family Home Evening at Annie's house. We were led to her basement where I came face to face with the woman I had seen earlier in the car. It was the strangest coincidence. Our strange reaction to each other prompted everyone to ask what had happened. We, Tiffany and I, then proceeded to regale the group with the story of the rude man. It was pretty funny.
FHE was fun. We participated in skits in which we acted out stories of kindness. I played the wife of a man with leprosy. (My husband, Jake, was pretty cute.) After the serious part, we all mingled while we ate snacks. I had a good talk with Annie and was complimented by one of the Relief Society teachers. She said that, for someone so new, I was really fitting into the ward well. After FHE, a bunch of us decided to go to Baskin Robbins for ice cream and more socializing. Many topics were discussed, especially traveling to foreign lands. This something that I want to do more of. Chris discussed going to Germany and Africa. He is a very interesting guy. Anyway, now I am home. I so enjoy interesting days.

1 comment:

Josh said...

Wow, that guy sounds insane. Sometimes I've seen people so mad on the road that I swear that's their next move, but I've never witnessed it.