Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2008

The passing of President Hinckley

I learned of President Gordon B. Hinckley's passing on Sunday night through a text message. (For those who do not belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, bare with me.) At first, I couldn't believe it. Then I was sad at the passing of a man who has had such an influence on my life. I am still a little sad; but I have to say that the strongest emotions are ones of joy and gratitude. I am happy that he is finally with his beloved wife again. 97 years is a long time to live and he is now at peace; free from worldy cares and physical pains. I am grateful for all the talks and guidance that he gave to myself and millions of others over the years. After hearing him speak, I always wanted to be a better person. My cousin Megan has a great video on her blog that is a tribute to President Hinckley by Glen Beck. To see it on YouTube, click here. I don't know much about Glenn Beck, other than he is a conservative radio/tv host who has a program on CNN, but his tribute to President Hinckley was moving and reflected my own feelings. President Hinckley's funeral is on Saturday.

1 comment:

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

I happened to catch that tribute by Beck and it was very sincere and personal. It will take me a long time to get use to Pres. Hinckley's absence. Most of all I will miss his humor, his love and expression of hope.
Hope your head is feeling better, Jess.