Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Snake-wrangler

Those of you who know me know that I am not a fan of snakes. I find them to be a bit unnatural because they don't have any appendages. Fish have fins, insects have six legs, spiders have eight, and so on. The fact that snakes do not have legs has always bothered me. I have always found them creepy.
On Sunday afternoon my roommate, W, came up and asked me what I knew about snakes. I replied "I know I don't like them." She then proceeded to tell me that there was a snake in the downstairs bathroom. She had stepped out of the shower and had found a snake coiled up on her pile of clothes. Roommate M and I went down to investigate. Sure enough, what looked like a 3 to 3 and a half foot long garden snake was in the bathroom. Roommates M and W decided to look it up on the internet to find out if it was poisonous. I decided to take matters into my own hands since I could not be easy knowing a snake was in the house. I went upstairs and found my bedroom garbage can and a scrabble board. Using the board, I flipped the snake in the garbage can and quickly covered it. Roommate M opened the door to the outside and I flung it into the canal behind our house. The question remains: how did the snake get into the bathroom in the first place? (Was I the only one who just got the shivers thinking about it?)
I'll admit that I gave myself a pat on the back for staring down my fear and getting rid of the snake. Just call me the snake-wrangler. :)

3 comments:

Nana J said...

So creepy. I am betting the cat brought it in to show off. I, too, hate snakes. They terrify me. Even the smallest snakes give me the creeps.

Sarah said...

Please tell me your just-showered roommate screamed her head off and jumped up on the toilet.
That's what I would have done, anyway. :)
Go snake wrangler! (Insert theme music here.)

Roxanne said...

Oooooohh. I loathe snakes. They are my worst fear as far as that kind of thing goes. John even killed one when he was, oh, three- and-a-half because I was so freaked out. It was on our carport and he just dropped a brick on it.
If any of you have seen the old Disney movie, 'The Living Desert', you may remember that it has snakes in it. Grandma Boyes took us to see it when we were young and she had to take me out of the theater because it scared me so badly. I hate to even look at a picture of a snake. My children will tell you that I avoid looking at the snakes at the zoo.