Search This Blog

Friday, August 22, 2008

A hasty heart and wet lungs

Yesterday was not a good day for me at work. It started out well but ended in a mess. I was given a spreadsheet of some missing paperwork by a member of the Executive Committee. Being the proactive person that I am, I immediately started e-mailing managers and directors for the missing paperwork. Sadly, most of the managers and directors that I e-mailed had no idea what I was talking about. I got seven e-mails, three phone calls, and a personal visit from a confused manager. It turns out that my zealous nature had not given some Executive Committee members time to talk to their directors and managers about what needed to be done. I was concerned about what the person who originally had given me the project would think since some of the managers were pretty unhappy with me and was kind of freaking out by the end of the day.

When I arrived home, I told Sarah the problems of the day. Until late in the day, I had forgotten that I had tickets to a play the The Hale Centre Theater in Orem. Sarah and I went and had a pretty good time. Actually, Sarah enjoyed the whole play while I enjoyed it until half way through the second half.

First, a brief explanation of the play: The Hasty Heart takes place in 1945 in a British military hospital in Burma. There was a wide variety of accents including Scottish, Irish, English, Australian, Georgian (as in the state,) and a New Zealander. It reminded me a little of MASH but sweeter. It was a good play and I would highly recommend it. I plan to rent the movie from the library as soon as it comes in.

Now that the play has been explained, let me continue with my story. I bought a bottle of water during the intermission. Halfway through the second act I took a big swig of water just as a very funny line was said. I started to laugh, tried to stop, and proceeded to spit half the water out while swallowing the other half (although it helps to swallow water into your stomach and not your lungs.) I immediately gagged and coughed. Being the ever polite person I am, I tried to do so quietly. For a minute, I couldn't breathe and panicked. At every audience laugh, I coughed loudly so I could clear my lungs. I then coughed most of the night and didn't get much sleep. By the time I awoke from a very interrupted sleep, my throat and chest hurt. I wouldn't recommend trying to drown yourself buy inhaling water at a play.

At work today, I continued my coughing spree. At this point it hurts to breathe, but I seem to be coughing less and am hopeful for a complete recovery by tomorrow morning. I'm told that breathing dry, warm air will help. That, at least, can be done in my house since the air conditioning is still at a standstill. The parts have been ordered though, and it isn't as bad as I might lead my readers to believe. I also watched the news last night and the trusty weatherman assured both Sarah and I that this weekend would be cooler than this past week. Anyway, thus end the story.

No comments: