Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The appendix

My roommate Camille has been feeling sick for a while now. Dizzy for a month and sick to her stomach for a week. It got worse every time she ate. After harassment from me, she went to the doctor's office. He sent her to get an Ultrasound. So yesterday, Monday, I took her to the hospital. She had to fast and drink water an hour before the scan. Afterwards, the Ultrasound tech immediately set up an appointment for a CAT scan. An hour later she was lying in a big circular machine. She looks happy in the picture but is actually starving. After a long test, the doctor said she needed to get an immediate appendectomy. She was sent to the lab for blood work. At this point, she was getting a little nervous. Luckily, I have had experience with hospitals. After Grandpa, Grandma, and Caleb, I know how hospital visits work. I took Camille home to take out her contacts, get a change of clothes, toothbrush, hairbrush
, and a book. I then drove her to the hospital and we checked into the surgery ward. To pass the time, I read Camille facts from The Encyclopedia of the Bizarre. A nurse started an IV, as you can see from the picture, and took vitals. Sarah came after work and brought one of our Home Teachers, Nate, and another friend, Scottie. They gave Camille a blessing. By 7pm, Camille was taken into surgery. I called Camille's parents with another update and Sarah and I finally got dinner. She was out of surgery by 9pm.
Tuesday morning, after my interview at a doctor's office, I went to see her. Camille was in fairly good spirits considering her trying night. After visiting a while, I came home to do dishes, laundry, and vacuuming. I went back at 4 and we left the hospital by 5. Off to the pharmacy and grocery store we went. She is now safely on the couch where she, Sarah, and I are watching Eragon. (I'll review it later for my faithful blog readers.) Such a Monday. It's been a while since so much excitement has happened in two days. Hopefully Camile will mend soon. Her mom is coming down tomorrow to visit. (I'm glad I cleaned part of the apartment today.)

2 comments:

J said...

Britnie and I thought Eragon was horrible. Bad enough that neither one of us is interested in trying the book. What did you think?

Jess said...

The movie would have been tolerable if I had never read the book. The book is actually alright; pretty good for a book written by a nineteen year old.