Search This Blog

Friday, June 09, 2006

"No man is an island" (not even me)

"No man is an Island"

"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
-John Donne

I feel like an island sometimes. Alone; in the middle of a sea of confusion. I've decided that it is important to remain connected to those around you.

1 comment:

JAJ said...

Feeling like an island is, I think, one of the hardest feelings to deal with. Luckily, we have a great family to be surrounded by and a knowledge that even when we are physically alone, we are never left to live life by ourselves.

-Alison